Friday 28 November 2014

Kind of like Dick Whittington


6 November 2014

Once again I am out and about mingling with real CIPA members.  Today my Grand Tour takes me through the streets of London.  Kind of like Dick Whittington.  In fact, very like Dick Whittington: I believe he also wandered in from the countryside carrying a pack full of straw.  And he ended up as Lord Mayor.  Look out Boris – if CIPA reject me you've got competition.

But I must stop thinking about pantomime.

First I meet with some people who think my Secret Diary is insufficiently Vice-Presidential.  This is an interesting perspective considering the Bye-Laws say absolutely nothing about what a Vice-President must be and do.  Then I meet with some people who think the Secret Diary represents the entire Vice-Presidential remit, and don’t seem to be particularly disturbed by the fact.  So the bad news is that you cannot please all of the people all of the time.    But on the plus side, you can please a lot of the people most of the time.  Especially if you don’t understand most of what’s going on and are incapable of taking it seriously when you do. 

The second group of people try to tell me they have not volunteered to do CIPA work because they thought you had to be special to join Council or a committee.  A likely story.  Look at me, I say: surely I am all the proof you need that absolutely anyone can join Council these days?  Standards are not that high, I say.  I realise this might sound a little tactless, not to mention un-Vice-Presidential, so I promise instead to publish some information about how CIPA is governed and what the committees are and who can join them.  Then I rush back to Chancery Lane to ask Mr Davies if he knows.
And by the way, why is this cat following me...?

2 comments:

  1. Especially if you don’t understand most of what’s going on and are incapable of taking it seriously when you do.

    Story of my life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And by the way, why is this cat following me...?"

    Maybe it's an IPkat...

    ReplyDelete